- Place a large pot over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper, add it to the pot and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside.
- Add the garlic, onion and red pepper flakes to the pan, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the onions are tender, 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, stock, water and reserved chicken back to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, and simmer until lightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir in the chopped basil just before serving.
- Serve the soup topped with a sprinkle of Parmigiano Reggiano.
Garlic Bread or Breadsticks pair well with this soup